Friday, November 5, 2010

So, good luck with that...

I, admittedly, thought that I'd hear all kinds of advice about how to put your baby to bed, what not to do at dinner time, and how to breastfeed my new baby. The unsolicited advice has been at a minimum. I have, however, had a great time listening to all the strange, awkward and sometimes flat out inappropriate comments people make about pregnancy and babies. It's been very entertaining to say the least!

First, it started when I was showing. (I was!) It was obvious that people wanted to ask, but didn't want to offend. I have to admit that I did take offense at first, but in the way that I couldn't believe people didn't see the belly, or refused to. I then started using it as if I did let myself go after I wrangled that husband of mine, but just for a minute. Good stuff.

Here are a few of the top comments to me that I wanted to share. They are just too good to keep to myself.

1. Upon announcing my pregnancy to my parents on the phone, my mother says, "oh! What about the cats? You know they kill babies. They don't mean to, but they climb into the crib and lick the milk off their face."
What do you say?

2. I was 9 months pregnant and ran into a client that I have known for years. I hadn't seen him in person in over a year, to be fair. We met at a meeting and he said "Oh my God! You got a haircut!" I had to. I said "Of all of the physical changes in me, you notice my hair?!" he laughed, but I think I embarrassed him. He is an engineer. If you know one, you know what I mean.

3. MY ALL TIME FAVORITE:
"Oh hey! I was just thinking of you last night. Scott and I saw a show about how children kill their parents." I burst into laughter, and all I could say is "So, good luck with all that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment